Why You Need to Learn to Delegate (& What Stops you)
The ability to delegate can seem like a difficult challenge. It requires you to step outside of your comfort zone. It will be worth the effort!
- Delegating does not come naturally. Tune in when you hear yourself say, “I can do this better myself,” or, “It takes too much time, I might as well do it myself.”
- Delegating is a set of skills – that can be learned.
- Delegation is your best way to promotion. It demonstrates you know how to empower your people, and you see yourself as a leader.
- When you delegate you are highlighting and preparing future leaders; managers with the ability to delegate is a prerequisite to succession planning.
- Delegation is like cross-training, preparing people to step up in times of emergencies, absences, and other situations one cannot always plan.
What new opportunities or promotions are important for your future? What are your goals? Learning to delegate will help you reach that new level. Take a moment and write out what you want to happen in your future.
Next evaluate your current delegation skills ...